|Should I be
concerned about mold in my home? (source:
Yes, if indoor mold
contamination is extensive, it can cause very high and
persistent airborne spore exposures. Persons
exposed to high spore levels can become sensitized and
develop allergies to the mold or other health problems.
Mold growth can damage your furnishings, such as carpets, sofas
and cabinets. Clothes and shoes in damp closets can become
soiled. In time, unchecked mold growth can cause serious
damage to the structural elements in your home.
You may suspect that you have mold if you see discolored
patches or cottony or speckled growth on walls or furniture or
if you smell an earthly or musty odor. You also may
suspect mold contamination if mold-allergic individuals
experience some of the symptoms when in the house.
Evidence of past or ongoing water damage should also trigger
more thorough inspection. You may find mold growth
underneath water-damaged surfaces or behind walls, floors or
Typical symptoms that mold-exposed persons report include:
- Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, difficulty
breathing and shortness of breath.
- Nasal and sinus congestion
- Eye irritation (burning, watery, or reddened eyes)
- Dry, hacking cough
- Nose or throat irritation
- Skin rashes or irritation
You can go to the
following web sites
for more information:
Home Maintenance Tips
dollars are spent annually to repair damage that
could be prevented with a little home maintenance. These simple
jobs may take a little time and money, but in the long run can
save thousands of dollars and a lot of headaches.
Clean debris from
the roof. Pine needles, leaves or other debris can retain
moisture and in time, cause wood to rot and leak.
bathtubs, showers and sinks every 3 to 4 years. Caulk can
deteriorate over time allowing water to leak into walls and
washing machine hoses regularly. A broken washing machine hose
can leak as much as 500 gallons of water in a single hour. Check
hoses for cracks, leaks and loose connections.